TEXT TO 9-1-1 IS AVAILABLE IN CAMERON COUNTY.
Please remember that texting should only be used when you are unable to make a voice call to 9-1-1.
HOW TO TEXT 9-1-1 IN AN EMERGENCY:
- Enter the numbers “9-1-1” in the “To” field;
- The first text message to 9-1-1 should be brief and contain the location of the emergency and type of help needed;
- Push the “Send” button.
- Be prepared to answer questions and follow instructions from the 9-1-1 call taker.
- Text in simple words-do not use abbreviations
- Keep text messages brief and concise.
THINGS TO KNOW IF YOU NEED TO TEXT 9-1-1:
- Text location is not equal to current location technology
- As with all text messages, 9-1-1 messages can take longer to receive, can get out of order or may not be received
- Text-to- 9-1-1 is not available if you are roaming
- A text or data plan is required to place a text-to-9-1-1
- If texting to 9-1-1 is not available in your area, or is temporarily unavailable, you will receive a message indicating that texting 9-1-1 is not available and to contact 9-1-1 by other means.
- Photos and videos cannot be sent to 9-1-1 at this time.
- Text-to-9-1-1 cannot include more than one person. Do not send your emergency text to anyone other than 9-1-1.